Tags[reading-update] [books] [musings] [productivity] [goals] [content] [updates] [poetry] [noise] [psychology] [design-thinking] [introduction] [feynman-technique] [youtube] [short-story] [senses] [new-year] [life] [channel] [chanakya] [arthashastra] [politics] [meditation] [ubi] [travel] [statistics] [podcasts] [philosophy] [nature] [meta-tic-tac-toe] [limerick] [jio] [israel] [india] [incerto] [haiku] [gita] [fiction] [essays] [debate] [data] [culture] [anger] [aesthetics]
After my flurry of reading over the past 5 months that have led me to complete my yearly reading goal much in advance, I had a light month of reading.
I don’t think I’ll be done with reading any other book before the month is out.
I read 3 books in September.
- Understanding Media — Marshall McLuhan I wrote a detailed post on this book once I read part 1.
I think its one of the most insightful books on media and content ever written. Highly recommended.
- Conversations with Myself — Nelson Mandela I’ve been fascinated by Mandela’s life for a while now. I decided to try to read the man rather than the myth. This is a collection of letters, other correspondences written by Mandela or conversations with Mandela.
There’s nothing specific that jumps out about the book for me to be honest.
It’s beautiful to see the man talk about his motivations and where they stem from. I don’t completely agree with Mandela on his views, but, I respect the man for what he achieved.
- Fermat’s Last Theorem — Simon Singh I got this book on a recent trip and it came highly recommended.
I’ve not delved too deeply into mathematics, this was a fantastic book that talked about the history of the problem, the story of the multiple proofs and how it finally got proved. Definitely recommend this for a mathematics novice like me.
Books being read right now:
- Thirukkural — Thiruvalluvar
- War and Peace — Leo Tolstoy
- A way in the world — V.S. Naipaul
- Ethics — Aristotle
- Measure what Matters — John Doerr